Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

Boost by Kathy Mackel


Calling all Girl Athletes!  Here is a Book Just for you!
Guys, you will like also!

If you want to be the best at anything not just sports, you need to "Boost" your game.
This is the first book that I have personally read that deals with girl athletes.  (Oh, I remember that there was a soccer player in the Traveling Pants series)
 The story is about Savvy, an 8th grade basketball player,  and her friendships, her trials with making a select team, her family troubles, school, and her relationship with her sister.
The story begins with Savvy and her family moving from New Mexico to Rhode island.  Savvy is trying out for basket ball.  She's got the talent and skills to easily make the team.  But she also likes to challenge herself, and with her new friend Gonzo, they try out for the 18 and under select league.
Occassionally, I was lost due to the basketball terms, but then I'm not a basketball player or sports announcer. However, I was able to tell if the team was winning or not, and I could get a glimps of what was happening and I did enjoy the different plots.
There is also a message about steroids that is very important for athletes!